WHAT IS GLOBAL JUGALBANDI?
Jugalbandi is a traditional Indian classical format that I have broadened to enable musical conversations between musicians from all over the world. I call this performance approach global jugalbandi. Listen to an example track.
Kundalika preserves many traditional jugalbandi elements, such as:
- Building a rasa (mood/feeling) by adhering to a specific scale for each piece (inspired by traditional ragas)
- Large amounts of space for improvisation by soloists (pieces are 20-30 minutes long)
- Developing pieces in multiple, increasing tempos, starting with alap (no tempo), and ending in a jhalla (very fast tempo)
- Incorporating traditional polyrhythms, such as tihais
- Using the traditional drone from of the tanpura
My approach to global jugalbandi also incorporates some innovations:
- Including musicians who come from a diversity of non-Indian musical traditions, such as from jazz, bluegrass, and Western classical music
- Including a larger number of musicians than is typical traditionally
- Selectively using some Western musical approaches in my arrangements, such as chords and countermelody
- Utilizing vamps/ostinatos under solos